605 13th Street West • Glencoe, MN 55336
Phone: 320-864-3414 • Fax: 320-864-3616

Clinic Hours

Monday: 7:30am- 5pm
Tuesday: 7:30am – 5pm
Wednesday: 7:30am – 5pm

Thursday: 7:30am- 12pm; 1:15pm- 5pm
Friday: 7:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday: By Appointment Only
Sunday: Closed
Request Appointment Prescription Refill

Merry Christmas!

12/19/2014

The beauty of Christmas comes with several warnings for your pets. The decorative plants you use to celebrate the season may be dangerous to your four-legged friends. As you decorate your home this year, keep in mind these potential dangers:

                Mistletoe –

Severely toxic to dogs and cats. Eating this plant may cause erratic behavior, GI upset like vomiting and diarrhea, trouble breathing and complications with the heart.

                Lilies –

Severely toxic to cats. Just 1 – 2 leaves can cause kidney failure. Non-toxic to dogs.

                American Holly –

Moderately toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion of this plant may cause vomiting, diarrhea or depression.

                Christmas Tree –

Mildly toxic to dogs and cats. The oils from the tree are mildly irritating to the GI system and can cause excessive drooling or vomiting. The needles are not easily digested and may cause vomiting, obstruction or puncture the intestines.

                Poinsettia –

Mildly toxic to dogs and cats. If consumed, nausea or vomiting may be seen.

Keep these plants out of reach of your pets.
If your pet eats any of these plants, please call the clinic to speak with one of our staff members.
You can also check out the toxicity of other plants in your house at the site: 
www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

read more...

Emergency Management of Rodenticide

11/1/2014

Fall is the most frequent season for accidental rodenticide poising – New mandates by the EPA,Environmental Protection Agency, have reduced and eventually will eliminate ACR, Anticoagulant Rodenticides. This has been the most common mouse/rat poison for many years.  Ingestion of ACR’s cause internal bleeding over several days. When a veterinarian treats a patient for accidental eating of an ACR, they were able to use Vitamin K, an effective antidote along with rest and supportive care.  With the introduction of new products to the market, this effective way of treating animals is about to disappear.

These two newer rodenticides act much differently in the animal. Bromethalin products – Assault, Tomcat Mole Killer, Clont, Real Kill etc. act on the brain. Neurological signs such as seizures, staggering and eventually coma develop in 2 to 24 hours.
Cholecalciferol products – Tomcat, is one of the most deadly and costly to treat rodenticides. 1 ounce can kill a 70 lb. dog. This product is toxic to the kidneys with signs developing in 1 – 3 days. Signs include increase thirst and urination, weakness, lethargy, no appetite, vomiting, and dehydration. Treatment regiment is several weeks of fluids and monitoring. Prognosis is often very poor due to kidney damage.

Poisoning with rodenticides can be very hazardous to your pet.  If your pet consumes any amount of rodenticide, call your veterinarian immediately.  It is imperative to know the name of the rodenticide that was used and if possible how much was consumed. Proper treatment as soon as possible and knowing which poison was eaten are critical, now that we are dealing with these new rodenticides on the market

read more...

Pet Wellness

11/1/2014

Training hunting dogs - getting them into shape:

It takes 6 weeks or so to get a hunting dog in shape. To start conditioning your dog, use a two - on, one - off program. Work your dog for two days in a row, then give one day of complete rest.

Utilize a slow pace, longer workout. Increase the distance before increasing the speed. Start with a 15 - 20 minute workout at a fast trot. (about 6 - 8 mph), then gradually increase the time up to an hour. Once your dog is in shape, maintain this by 3 workouts a week.

 

Key Safety Points

Make sure your dog stays well hydrated. Offer water before, during and after workouts.

Use a thermometer to monitor temperature. If it rises to 103º F, stop training and wait for the temperature to come back down. Normal range is 101º - 102º F

read more...