Fall is the most frequent season for accidental rodenticide poising – New mandates by the EPA,Environmental Protection Agency, have reduced and eventually will eliminate ACR, Anticoagulant Rodenticides. This has been the most common mouse/rat poison for many years. Ingestion of ACR’s cause internal bleeding over several days. When a veterinarian treats a patient for accidental eating of an ACR, they were able to use Vitamin K, an effective antidote along with rest and supportive care. With the introduction of new products to the market, this effective way of treating animals is about to disappear.
These two newer rodenticides act much differently in the animal. Bromethalin products – Assault, Tomcat Mole Killer, Clont, Real Kill etc. act on the brain. Neurological signs such as seizures, staggering and eventually coma develop in 2 to 24 hours.
Cholecalciferol products – Tomcat, is one of the most deadly and costly to treat rodenticides. 1 ounce can kill a 70 lb. dog. This product is toxic to the kidneys with signs developing in 1 – 3 days. Signs include increase thirst and urination, weakness, lethargy, no appetite, vomiting, and dehydration. Treatment regiment is several weeks of fluids and monitoring. Prognosis is often very poor due to kidney damage.
Poisoning with rodenticides can be very hazardous to your pet. If your pet consumes any amount of rodenticide, call your veterinarian immediately. It is imperative to know the name of the rodenticide that was used and if possible how much was consumed. Proper treatment as soon as possible and knowing which poison was eaten are critical, now that we are dealing with these new rodenticides on the market